Wednesday, July 9, 2014

painting the postboxes red

A few weeks ago (approximately one day before banners began to be hung from every other lamp post in town) I remarked to Graham that there were surprisingly few signs that Glasgow was about to host the Commonwealth Games.  He replied that we'd know it was happening when they started repainting the postboxes.  Sure enough, a couple of weeks on, the postboxes are being smartened up left, right and centre.  It hasn't just been a wee lick of paint either.  All the old layers of paint have been removed first, so the letterboxes are really looking very smart indeed.
I'd never realised before how old this box, local to our flat, was and probably wouldn't have noticed had it not been for the repainting and my dad's eagle eyes/historical know-how.  This box is not from the reign of Elizabeth II, as I had presumed, but is actually from the time of Edward VIII.  A little piece of history that I pop my letters in now and again, for the first time in a long time, looking as smart as it deserves.  I wonder what sort of items have been posted in here over the years...?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I'm sorry that I've had to turn on the word verification feature again, but my inbox was being flooded with very dull spam. Genuine comments always brighten my day though, so thank you for taking the time to leave one :)