Friday, October 18, 2013

graphic embroideries

This week I read my first ever graphic novel, Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi, the one who wrote Persepolis, and I really enjoyed it.  I picked this book up at random (it was facing outwards on the shelves of my local library) and within the first few pages decided I should borrow it, so I took it home and read the whole thing that very afternoon.  I never much fancied the idea of a graphic novel, but this was really good and much easier to read than I had imagined.  I wasn't sure I'd paid that much attention to the illustrations, but I certainly got more enjoyment out of reading this than I would have from having read a script (this book is all reported conversation, speech bubble style) so the illustrations must have been going in and making an impact somehow.  I guess this book's probably not your typical graphic novel (?) but I'm quite inspired now to branch out and try a few more.  All and any recommendations gratefully received!

p.s. I'm loving my new mustard tights and this cute skirt, which was a lucky charity shop find earlier this week :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm a huge Buffy fan and the when the series ended they continued it in graphic novel form. There is also an Alex Rider book (great series for young adults and not so young!) that is in graphic novel form. I don't know any others but there must be some good ones out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a Buffy fan at all, but maybe I'd like it more in book form...? Alex Rider could be fun, I think. I might look for these in the library and see what they're like - I should be able to tell whether they'd be my cup of tea quite quickly if I'm judgemental, which I always am! Thanks for recommending :)

      Delete

Hello! I'm sorry that I've had to turn on the word verification feature again, but my inbox was being flooded with very dull spam. Genuine comments always brighten my day though, so thank you for taking the time to leave one :)