Friday, May 24, 2013

what is a terrorbite anyway?

bunting by dropstitch
bunting, a photo by dropstitch on Flickr.

I got an email from flickr this morning letting me know that they've increased their free storage to a terabyte. I'm not very good with bytes etc, but I'm pretty certain that's massive. This is all very good timing as I was (reluctantly) about to pay to go pro again so that I could use my flickr account to back up the photos from my Mac. My Mac is currently unusable and is refusing to let me do anything (and I mean ANYTHING) until I delete some files. I've ordered an external hard drive, but once you start contemplating losing all your photos (and designs and whatever else) you start to wonder whether a hard drive is reliable enough either. And so I had decided to get back into flickr. And now it looks like I won't even have to pay. Yay!

In the meantime (God knows when I'll find the time required to transfer/upload and delete everything) it's exciting to be able to see more than my last 200 photos. This is the first photo I ever shared on flickr. This feels like decades ago. I was quite surprised to realise this was only taken in 2007, a mere six years ago. I spend a lot of time worrying that 23 to death-at-indeterminate-age will pass in a flash and nothing will have changed and I won't have done anything, so it's quite nice to see that I have done and changed quite a lot just since the age of 27, even if it is just making some stuff and getting new glasses/cutting my hair off, rather than buying property or becoming a company director or getting married or what have you.

Anyway, this photo. This is me holding some giant cupcake bunting that I made for my eldest niece's birthday. Kim will be eight this year, so I guess this was for her second birthday. I spent ages making this bunting (which Kim still has up in her bedroom - yay!) sewing up all the felt icing by hand and hand-stitching on all the different beads for sprinkles. I used to love taking time to complete rambling and over-ambitious handmade projects, doing things maybe not in the fastest way, but pottering and learning as I went and having something fun to show/share at the end of it. I'm always hoping to get back to that sort of crafting (one of my reasons for shutting up shop on etsy) and I think maybe blogging etc. makes it harder - you feel like you should constantly have new things to share. But I have quite a few plans now of things I want to make for Dulcie and for our house, so hopefully I'll get back to my 2007 levels of slow but solid craftiness eventually. That said, I haven't found so much as a minute to attempt to sew up Dulcie's romper suit since I got back from my mum and dad's, and she is busy growing out of her crocheted cardigan while I try to find the time to attach buttons. I won't be too hard on myself about this though. Dulcie is a bit under the weather this week and it has made her into a mum limpet. I can't even go to the toilet or check a single email without it turning into a major drama (I'm making the most of her illness-induced long lie to type this) so there is really no way I could embark on a project that actually demanded time and attention. But soon, soon! I don't know when or how, but (I repeat) soon!

I used to use flickr a lot before I had a blog. You should go and have a look at all the fun and pointless things I used to make and do. It's fun to look at, or it is for me, at least. I should really start using flickr properly again. My brand of "properly", I mean, i.e. snaps of life's minutae - things made and things spotted in the street. 

But time, time, time... ya bass!

Ugh.

2 comments:

  1. I really like this cup cake bunting, its a lovely idea and your niece must love it :) I know what you mean about time passing by so quickly and it feels hard to catch up, but I'm sure you'll make some lovely things soon :) Safxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Saffa. I now have the buttons for the cardigan so I'll be able to sew them on in my lunch break tomorrow and will actually have a completed project to share! Wowsers! Good luck on your own quest to squeeze in more time for creating too :)

      Delete

Hello! I'm sorry that I've had to turn on the word verification feature again, but my inbox was being flooded with very dull spam. Genuine comments always brighten my day though, so thank you for taking the time to leave one :)