Monday, November 26, 2012

how to crochet a phone cosy

Graham took Dulcie out in her pram for a couple of hours this weekend and in that time I managed to make the cover I'd been planning to for my phone.  Halfway through making this I decided that a phone sock type affair would probably be better in terms of accessibility, but then I wouldn't have been able to use my fancy button so I stuck to the plan and made one with a fastenable flap.

I just worked this pattern out as I went, but I made a note of what I was doing so I'll share the "pattern" here in case you fancy making a case for your own phone.  It was very quick and easy.  My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Ace, but I think this would fit most smartphones.  (Well, I don't know really, being a fancy-phone novice and all.)

Here's how I did it.

Using double knitting wool and a 4.5mm crochet hook:
- Chain 25 stitches and join with a slip stitch to make a ring.
- Crocheting into the foundation row, double crochet for 20 rounds.
(Crocheting in the round is not the neatest for making stripes, but the bits where you change colour will end up on the side of the phone and not be too noticeable... or you could make your case all one colour for added easiness.)
- Double crochet in the next 13 stitches.
- Chain 1 and turn, double crochet in each of 13 stitches...
- ... then repeat this for a further 10 rows.

To make the buttonhole:
- Chain 1 and turn, double crochet 5 stitches, chain 3, skip next three stitches, double crochet 5 stitches.
- [Chain 1 and turn, double crochet 13 stitches] x 2

- Weave in any ends, sew/crochet up bottom opening and attach button.
- Et voila!

If you wanted to make a simple phone sock, you would just:
- Chain 23 stitches and join with a slip stitch to make a ring.
- Crocheting into the foundation row, double crochet for approximately 25 rounds (until your phone sock is just longer than your phone).
- Weave in ends and sew up the bottom opening.

Easy peasy, huh?  Let me know if you use my rough guide to make any phone cosies of your own.  They'd be a great idea for a handmade Christmas gift and the simple phone sock could probably be completed in about an hour, I'd think.  And that's going by my snail's pace crocheting.  Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I'm sorry that I've had to turn on the word verification feature again, but my inbox was being flooded with very dull spam. Genuine comments always brighten my day though, so thank you for taking the time to leave one :)