Friday, November 12, 2010

I wish I could draw gooder


C-1950-00019
Originally uploaded by gseiwiarchives
I've been trying to draw a tent since August and apparently I can't. Not a good tent anyway. However, every cloud has a silver lining and while trawling flickr for inspiration again tonight I came across this picture, which gave me a little smile. How cute?

I used to be a girl guide and go camping. I even wore a special camp dress - a sort of blue knee-length shirt/slip with a belt at the waist. Guide camp seems like such good fun when I look back on it. We would gather wood and start a fire and cook on it all weekend. I suppose that's quite a talent really, making macaroni cheese over an open flame! We had to make pot rests with sticks to stop the grass getting burnt, tying the straightest sticks we could find into triangles using square knots. I know quite a few proper knots thanks to my time in the guides, not least because of all the time we spent making macrame owls. At the end of the weekend, we would scrub the Daz off the bottom of the pans in a nearby river (I think the thick washing powder layer protected the pans from the flames?) pack up and then form a line to scour every inch of the field for litter. It was such a good feeling to get home, get clean and sleep in your own warm bed after a weekend in a cold, wet field.

Talking of clean beds, I'd better go and make mine. I woke up this morning to find Poppy had been sick on top of me in the middle of the night. Not a fun discovery at 6.30 am. Euch! Plus my morning schedule is so tight (eking out every possible minute in bed) that stripping the sheets meant I didn't have time to have breakfast. Noooooooo! Goodness me, I'm tired this week. I'm crossing my fingers that I don't get called in to work tomorrow. I would love to have the day off. Maybe I could even get that tent drawn at long last!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I'm sorry that I've had to turn on the word verification feature again, but my inbox was being flooded with very dull spam. Genuine comments always brighten my day though, so thank you for taking the time to leave one :)