Monday, October 27, 2008

memoir monday (nine)

31st October 1986: Halloween
Yesterday it was Brownies and we had a halloween party.  On the way back it was windy.  The Suzuki was blown about an awful lot.  Just as we were coming up to the top of the hill we saw a pheasant.  Its feathers were out of its neck and you could see the skin.  When we got home I went up to get changed.  When I came down my dad was there.  I told him I wanted to make a lantern.  Later that evening Dad phoned up Mr Sim to see if he had any neeps.  He said "yes" and dad went up to get some.  He got four and we all howked out the neeps.  My mum went through Laura's.  AFter that we went to bed.

Halloween 1986 (part two)
On Friday it was Halloween so the school held a Halloween party.  When we got there most people were dressed up as vampires.  My mum was dressed up as Hilda Ogdon.  Dad was dressed up as John Darling from Peter Pan.  I was meant to be a magician but the tricks were rubbish.  The first games object was to eat a doughring on a string without using your hands.  I managed that but Janice didn't.  She was a mummy and her mouth was covered.  Ruth managed as well but her hat kept falling off.  After that game we played pass the balloon.  There was also a game with four corners in the game acting as witches, skeletons, ghosts and bats.  If the corner you were in was called out you acted as a ghost, skeleton, bat or witch.  Of course we had food and a lot of it was left over.  Derek asked me if I could pass a box over.  I knocked it down so I never saw what was in it.  Kim and I were called out of the library before we were finished.  The others had all started "dooking" apples.  My dad got an apple but I'm sure Lorna Wink helped him.  Musical bumps was good as well.  Of course Mr Scott played 'Walk Like An Eyptian'.  We had to dance to it.  But at 9.00 we got a prize for dressing up and bringing a lantern.

2 comments:

  1. Poor Janice - I can just picture her all mummy-ed up and stood on the sidelines..! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Janice comment was what amused me about this diary entry too. What sort of cruel mother would send their child to a sweet filled halloween party with their mouth bandaged up? I wonder if her bandages were made of toilet roll...

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm sorry that I've had to turn on the word verification feature again, but my inbox was being flooded with very dull spam. Genuine comments always brighten my day though, so thank you for taking the time to leave one :)